The stigma

Everyday I notice more and more how much of a stigma really exists when it comes to infertility and miscarriage, especially when being open about it, talking about it and sharing my experiences.

The stigma of "That makes me uncomfortable so I'm just going to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist."
Miscarriages and infertility are incredibly common. Approximately 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage and approximately 1 in 8 couples experiences infertility.
Why? If they are so common then why, as an entirety, are we so uncomfortable talking about or even hearing about these things that are so common?

I understand that if you haven't walked in these shoes that it may be difficult to react to or know what to say. I get that. What I don't understand is the fact that SO many people would rather pretend that the issues don't exist and push them away instead of asking or simply saying "I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say or what to do to help, but I am here for you."
Instead we're pushed away and ignored.

I've known that this stigma has existed since before I was diagnosed with infertility but once I became vocal about our struggles it has just become more apparent.
This stigma is incredible prevalent but it shouldn't be.
Women shouldn't have to feel shamed for suffering miscarriages or with infertility.
We should be able to talk about it without getting looked down on or rejected.

I'm not trying to be harsh but it is very much a harsh reality. Infertility sucks. Miscarriage is heartbreaking.
When you suffer a miscarriage, even at 5-6 weeks, your body has contractions to expel everything. It is incredibly painful and it's not something that should be passed off as nothing.
Whether you are 6 weeks or 16 weeks you are still losing a child. A loss is a loss, no matter how far along you are.

No I'm not consumed with infertility and miscarriage but it does affect my everyday life. It is something that I live with on a daily basis.
I've had 4 miscarriages, there's no denying that or going back. I struggle with infertility and that's something that I can't change.
I am speaking up about what I see in hopes to bring awareness to the situation and help end the stigma for other women like me.

On the flip side, I scheduled 2 appointments to see different doctors to get a second opinion. One will be on the 16th and the other is on the 28th.
I took a break from posting because there was not much to update on due to my health issues. As of now, within the next month I have 4 different appointments to hopefully get some answers.
When I have more answers then I can update more.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and encouragement. If you have any questions don't hesitate to either leave a comment or you can send me a message on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts